Sunday, January 18, 2009

Jan. 17th, 09 5k Bolt Run!


With 11 days under my belt of training for the 5k (3.2 miles) the day was here yesterday Saturday January 17th the 8th annual Bolt run! As you all already know my training is really 8 weeks worth but this run came earlier than that so I decided to just do it and I am glad that I did.

It was COLD, COLD, COLD. When I woke up this morning at 5:45 a.m. it was 35 degrees and for us Floridians that is cold and with the wind blowing it made it even colder. I picked Lori up at 6:30a.m. and I noticed we had one less passenger and that would be my 11 year old nephew Ryan, he decided to spend the night with some friends and that decision was probably a smart one for him because he would not have liked the weather.

The run started promptly at 8:00a.m. sharp but the anticipation for me was really overwhelming! First of all I had NO idea what to expect, all I knew was to go and pick up my packet then get my ankle bracelet so I could get my time then.....wait. Me and Lori did meet a few people who were pretty much in the same boat as me so that made me feel like I was not the only newbie. Eight a.m. came around and we were out in the road in front of the ice palace like a bunch of cattle then all of a sudden we were off then the fun began :-). The run was down Bayshore Blvd. so that made for some nice scenery and I felt like I had a nice pace going which made things easier. But the trauma happened when we were about a mile or so into the run and Lori fell down on her left knee and it was some bad road rash! The road was rough with a lot of uneven pavement and that is what brought Lori down, but she got up and ran and walked and at the same time wiping her knee with a tissue since blood was streaming down her leg pretty badly. She was determined to finish though and that she did but boy is she sore, I am thankful she did not hurt herself any worse.

I am glad that I finished the run but its not over yet, I still have to complete my 8 week training so I can run it through with out stopping. ( I walked probably about 5 to 7 minutes total but through out the rest of the time I ran) This week I will be adding spinning to my work outs and building that up then onto training to run further distance so I have a lot to work towards but believing that I can do this! I feel really good about training and my body is feeling much better as well so the results are showing up in many positive ways. 

I am signed up to run the Disney 5k in March but I am hoping to find a 5k to run before then so as soon as I get that figured out I will add the countdown clock to this blog. Gotta run and get some things done around that house and get to bed so I can get up early to get my training in before my day begins.

Have a blessed day today and stay thankful.

Karen

1 comment:

  1. Many congrats to both of you. Road rash and all! Keep it going. This is only the beginning! Stay with it. You won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete